The Birmingham Public Library’s Central location announced additional reduced hours as it deals with a broken air conditioner, which could take five more weeks to be repaired. Beginning Monday, May 12, the East Building will be open 8 a.m. to 12 p.m., Monday through Friday. The Linn-Henley building will be open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
The Central Branch, located downtown, will be open to the public on Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. but closed on Sundays. The hours do not affect the system’s other 18 locations.
An air conditioning coil in the library’s main handler ruptured in January, reducing the air conditioner’s ability to cool both buildings. Some adjustments have been made to get cool air into the Linn-Henley building.
The City’s Public Works Department has been assisting library staff in correcting the problems. When the Birmingham City Council approved funding for repairs in March, specially-made parts to fit the unit were ordered.
Additional, temporary changes for the downtown location include:
- Tinted cellophane has been placed on the East windows of the East Building to help reduce the heat.
- Some employees have been temporarily assigned to other library locations.
- All computer classes regularly held in the Regional Library Computer Center have been cancelled until further notice. Patrons are encouraged to check out computer classes at Springville Road and Five Points West libraries.
- The Friends’ Bookstore will be open Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Gifts of a Wordsmith, a free adult poetry workshop held on the first Tuesday of the month from 6 to 8 p.m., has been moved to Homewood Library, 1721 Oxmoor Road, until the air conditioner is fixed.
- All downtown public computers will be available from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m., Monday through Saturday.
- The East Building will be open Monday – Saturday, 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.; the Linn-Henley Research Library will be open Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and on Saturdays, 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. Both buildings will be closed on Sundays.
- With the East Building closing 12 p.m. on weekdays, patrons will still be able to pick up library holds and check them out from 12 to 5 p.m. at a desk on the first floor of Linn-Henley.
For hours and locations of other Birmingham libraries, please visit http://www.bplonline.org/locations/.